Revonte develops e-bike drive systems and in the late 2019 they started their collaboration with Etteplan MORE. Etteplan designed and executed a wireless measuring system for pedalling torque, which enabled Revonte's first prefabrication series to be made. They'll soon be starting their mass production phase.
Revonte was founded in 2018 in Tampere and they focus on developing e-bike drive systems. This includes the e-bike motors, batteries as well as the controllers. Their customers are e-bike manufacturers. In 2019, Revonte made the first prototypes of the e-motors, but noticed that the measuring of the pedalling torque was insufficient.
– We needed to find a better solution for measuring that and Etteplan was one of our options to partner with. Right away, they suggested a suitable solution and they seemed to have the know-how to get it done. We were convinced and decided to move forward with the project, Iiro Peltola, the CTO of Revonte, explains the background on how the collaboration started.
In practice, Revonte wanted to accurately measure the pedalling torque and lap speed, which form the basis on controlling the e-motor. In order to get the driving sensation with the motor to be just right, one has to accurately measure the cycler's movements through the pedal shaft. On top of this, the solution also had to function wirelessly. A commercial off the shelf product didn't exist yet, so it had to be developed from scratch.
– Firstly, Etteplan made the necessary electronics, with which the torsion can be measured. After that they discovered a solution, with which this information can be wirelessly transmitted. Based on our specifications, they were able to take care of the electronics and software development, design the circuit boards, code the software and test the solution, Peltola lists.
High-quality solution on a tight schedule
The schedule for the whole project was tight. Everything from getting the specifications from Revonte to having the system tested and complete was done in five months. According to Peltola, the collaboration went very smoothly.
– We had a meeting if there was a need for one. We also got to use their laboratories. At a fast pace, they came up with the initial proposal on how to solve the problem and they were able to design it in a very tight schedule. I'd say that means that the project went well, Peltola says with a smile.
– Their solutions were high-quality and you can see, for example, from the circuit boards that they've been made with high standards and by experts, Peltola points out.
At the moment, Revonte is close to starting the mass production of their products, as the first prefabrication series have been made on the mass production line. Peltola says that Etteplan deserves the credit for this.
– The solution Etteplan developed enabled us to finalize our product in the first place. None of the commercial products available on the market would have worked. It was absolutely crucial for us to get this project done, Peltola summarizes.
What Iiro Peltola has to say about the ground-breaking Revonte solution and about the co-operation with Etteplan MORE? Click to see the video below: